Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, May 11, 2009

Quick Update

The doctors decided in rounds today to continue weaning Jaime from his vent support to extubate him soon. This means that they will also be weaning his nitric oxide and changing to Sildenafil (AKA: Viagra). He is supposed to get his first dose of Sildenafil today. Christy and I changed Jaime's dressings together, his skin looks WONDERFUL. He is a little "puffier" today, but that's all related to post-op swelling. He has an arterial line in his left wrist that was placed during surgery, that should be removed tomorrow. If that happens, he might actually be able to wear clothes again! (Once he's extubated, we can "dunk" him in the tub for a "real" bath!)
Jaime is slowly gaining some bowel sounds, too. Once he has good bowel sounds, they will start feeding him. To date, he's only be receiving his TPN's (IV nutrition)and Lipids (IV Fat).
Over all, he's still holding his own. He's quite the strong little fighter! We hope it continues this way, but we still can't help but to walk on egg shells each day!
Thank you for the continued prayers! Jaime was sleeping today, so I don't have any new photos. If he's up later I'll post a photo or two!

Take care,

Love,
Sheryl

6 comments:

  1. Wow - this is awesome news!!!! Jaime is such an amazing fighter. I'm so happy he is kicking CDH bootie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr Jaime, you are one awesome fighter. So glad you're healing and progressing so well, & quickly too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheryl,

    Thanks for making my wife cry with your kindness and genorosity...geez!!! :-)
    No really, you guys are great and we should treat you guys to dinner soon.

    Glad to hear Jaime keeps kicking butt...we should have an "extubation" party when he hits that milestone.

    Jeremy Adler (Carter's Dad)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every day I visit your blog for an update, I seem to finish it with a huge smile on my face! I love seeing all the great pictures and reading about what an amazing little fighter Jaime is!

    Go Jaime!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, Jaime is kicking some serious CDH butt, isn't he. I'm so glad to hear that things are going well. You remain in our prayers.

    Much love,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you think Jaime may be at the cook-out at Bev's?!!
    He is the CDH champ!
    We hope that Jared is having fun at school!


    Love to you all!
    Jeanie & Ryan

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.