Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Procedure Results






Jaime's procedure over all went well...when I write that I mean it was uneventful in terms of things that could go wrong. According to the drs. he did "great." He came back up to his room just before 5:00, he was still groggy, but tonight he was Mr. Bright Eyes again...he even flashed a few smiles.(Thanks Pr. Eric for Jaime's blessing pre-op and for the visit after.)

Results:
1) Trifurcation of segmented Bronchi, in layman's terms, this is a Congenital bronchial abnormality. Can it be fixed? I don't know yet. No one is sure whether it will be an issue or not. There may or may not be an obstruction in the bronchi. Jaime will most likely need to have another procedure at a later date to determine this.
2) Tracheomalacia, AKA a floppy airway! This can possibly be "fixed" with time and steroids. This muscles needs to be stronger in order for Jaime to breathe "normal" on his own. Only time will tell if this will fix itself or if Jaime will ultimately need a trach inserted for a while. The drs. seem optimistic that this will not be the case!
3) ORSA in the ET tube. His respiratory system is infected and he's got thick secretions. We knew this, with antibiotics, this should go away.
4) Edema, AKA, swelling in his airway. This, too will resolve itself with time.

So, there you have it...all and all, no surprises. (the trifurcation was, but that's it.) Jaime, as always, will be carefully monitored. He will be weaned on his vent and medications slowly. Extubation attempt #2 (#3 really if you count the OR today) is a ways off. I'm really hoping to hold Jaime again sometime soon, even with his ET tube "jimmy-rigged."

In other Trost Family news...Jared and I took a trip 1/2 way to Columbus to meet Titi for dinner. Ultimately, we were "swapping" Jared. He's going to be there for the next couple of days. I hear they are going to plant flowers...sounds like fun, wish I could be doing that at home! After all, this IS my garden planting weekend. Ah, there's always next year! :-) Thanks, Titi for taking Jared for a few days!

All of the pics are pre-op except the last one. It's amazing to see exactly how many people it takes to move just one 7 lb. baby! Oh, and I LOVE the pic of Jaime chillin' before the OR. Thanks, Kate for capturing that moment while I was talking with anesthesia. :-)

Enjoy!
Love,
Sheryl

4 comments:

  1. I love the picture of Jared following Jaime into surgery. Like he's telling those doctors to take good care of his little brother. I'm glad to hear that y'all didn't get any "new" or surprising news today. Your blog is one of the first ones we check every day. Still praying for sweet Jaime, and that extubation #3, whenever it may be, is a success.

    Much love,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that last pic of Jaime with his eyes open looking right at the camera.

    Always ups and downs in the RCNIC...but more ups and than downs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The unknowns are hard but I like the simple fact that they are not without a solution or that Jaime could overcome them all! Isn't it amazing how many it takes to move a baby? Cecilia had the ECMO machine in tow too - I was waiting for the clowns and elephants for that parade!

    Keeping you all in my thoughts, prayers and sending Jaime and Carter Lung Function chants!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just wanted you to know that i'm praying for yall. I'm glad the surgery went well and it sounds like he's in good hands.
    candice

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.