Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, May 29, 2009

Bath Time!!!









Today, Jaime had his 1st "real" bath. He wasn't totally sure about it, but he liked it for the most part. Jared was the awesome big brother who helped Jennifer and I while Tom shot some photos! Jared even brushed and styled Jaime's hair...how cool is that?

New Jaime news: He's down to 5 liters O2, satting well, with good gases. His echo was unchanged, he's still at roughly 50% pulmonary hypertension. It's good that it didn't get worse since extubation, but it's not entirely great that it's not improving. It hasn't changed at all since before surgery 3 weeks ago. The drs. said to give it more time. They'll probably do another echo next week. If he doesn't start to improve soon, they'll look at other things that may be causing it to maintain the same. In the meantime, he's still on his Sildenafil (Viagra) and will remain on that for at least the duration of his NICU stay.
His feeds are up to 7mls an hour, going up by 1ml every 12 hours. These are through his NG, he's tolerating them well so far. He hasn't spit up in days(it's a nice treat to not have a severe reflux baby like Jared). Jaime's TPN is being weaned as the milk is being increased and fortified. Since I am unable to produce more than 5-20mls a pump (due to my reduction surgery in 2002), Jaime will most likely be receiving Isolmil formula by the end of the weekend. I am going to continue to pump for now, they will just mix my milk with formula. Every little bit is good for him.

So that's today's update! Enjoy the photos of Jaime striking some new poses and of his bath. I am in the process of setting up a Google Picasa photo album of our recent family photos. I'll post the site when I get it done.
Have a great weekend!
Sheryl

3 comments:

  1. Those photos are priceless! What a champ he is! I'm so proud of him, and I know you are too. And what a great big brother Jared is!!! What an awesome helper! Sending love and prayers your way!

    Love,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) I love the hairstyle!!! Our boys had some wild hair. Max's poor hair was all over the place.. of course he didn't get to have a bath, but we styled it with his head ultrasound gel. hehe. Hope the pphn improves! Thinking of you guys

    Ash

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah PH. Hate that stuff - but love these babies. He looked so relaxed after the bath and there is nothing like a clean baby! What a great helper Jared is!

    With thoughts, prayers and Lung Function chants,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.