Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Another Tube Removed!






The first picture shows Jaime "chilling" in bed last night. (Tom, he was actually laying in a "P" HA!)Notice the tubes in his nose and across his body. Today, Jaime decided to remove the tape from his cheek and pull out his nasal canula. Since he did it himself and the drs. wanted him off of it anyway, Ashley completely removed the nasal canula. He's been doing AWESOME without it. He's been satting between 95% and 100%. He's actually doing much better than when he had it in. I'm so proud of him! He looks so cute without his cheek covered as you can see in picture 2.
We're still working on the feeds. Jaime took almost 30mls twice today. He probably would have taken more, but I wasn't here the entire day. I went to Jeanie's mom's condo with Jeanie to go swimming for a few hours. It was a nice break. I'm starting to stress a little about taking Jaime home and being so far away from the hospital. Jeanie thought it would do me a world of good...she was right. Now, I have my usual summer raccoon face, a bit of a tan and I'm much more relaxed than I was. (Same time tomorrow, Jeanie? HA!)Thanks for making me leave the hospital today, it was great having a little R & R while getting some vitamin D.
Moving on...rumor has it that Dr. Crombleholme would like to see us discharged by the end of the week. YIKES!!! As I mentioned before, there are a lot of things that we have to coordinate before going home, but we're definitely getting there! I can't wait for Tom and Jared to see Jaime, he's like a different baby than he was when they left. He smiles more and is cuing. He has a pleasant demeanor, he only fusses when he's hungry or his tummy hurts!

Speaking of Jared and Tom, they've been busy doing all sorts of fun things at home. Tonight they went to Our Lady of Mount Carmel's church festival. I'm so jealous, I just LOVE the cavetelli's and meatballs served there! Jared had a blast with his little girlfriend Chloe! Tom did tell me that he ran into lots of our friends. Thanks for asking about Jaime, hopefully you'll get to meet him soon! I miss you all!

In conclusion, we ALL had a GREAT Day! Hoping for many great days ahead!!! :-)

Love,
Sheryl

P.S. I totally forgot to mention that Jaime was weighed and measured tonight, he's still 9lbs. 3oz and he's just over 22 inches long. Though Jaime looks like a giant, he's still less than the 5th percentile for height and weight compared to other babies his age. I'm sure he'll catch up at some point.

3 comments:

  1. I read on facebook today that you and Jeanie had some R & R today, well deserved!!! I am so excited for you and the family that the word HOME has been discussed. Jaime has come so far and this is such good news he is doing well without his oxygen. Once you get that little boy home, he will just thrive and take off with his feeds. I can completely relate to stressing out about being so far from the hospital after you leave, for I was a 3 hour drive away from the hospital. My advice is to find a pediatrician that you feel comfortable with and they don't mind being phoned if you have any concerns/worries/questions, anytime of the day. And I am sure that Cincinnati will be watching Jaime too for awhile in check-ups. You are going to do wonderful having your miracle home an finally being home with all your boys!! Many prayers for a very good week and I look forward to reading about Jaime's adventures in the weeks to come.

    Hugs, Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Home, just in time for the 4th and fireworks in Jaime's honor! Has he done his carseat challenge yet? Have you watched the cpr videos? When these tasks are completed, it's time to pack.
    Yay...he gets to leave without the O2. Dealing with that was a pain. Emily was able to get rid of it after about 2 1/12 months, yet we still have a few tanks in the house!
    Keep working on that PO feeding Jaime, you're doing AWESOME!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! i'm glad that everything is going so well! Jamie just has a boy face rather then a baby face thats y he looks so big....i think he just looks older....my son ty was the same way, and he's 3 now and still looks older. I can't wait for yall to bring him home...
    lots of love candice

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.