Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Truly a Happy Birthday!







So, today I spent the morning and early part of the afternoon with my favorite baby boy. When I walked in, the Child Life Specialist was in the room with Jaime...they had made me a birthday present. It was a photo box with pictures in it and a special card. Then, Jaime's nurse, Kristi, made me a birthday cake out of all of the daily items used on Jaime. Too cute! I have picture of all my special "hospital" presents.
Then, Carrie (Carter's Mom) came in with presents. These were all yummy chocolaty things! After rounds, which by the way, were uneventful which seems to be the norm lately, Carrie and I went to lunch in the cafeteria. There, we ate the delicious cupcakes she purchased for me!
After lunch, Liz (OT) was in Jaime's room "feeding" him breast milk by mouth. He did OK with this for a bit, but then dozed off. I rocked him for a while then put him in his crib. Tom called, he and Jared were back! YEA! I met them at the house for a bit, the boys gave me presents, then we came back to the hospital to see Jaime. Tom held him for a while and Jared "played" Legos with him, then it was time for dinner!
Tom took me to an Italian Restaurant called Campanello's. It's located in downtown Cincy and it was WONDERFUL! It rates right up there with the Cleveland Italian food we're used to. FINALLY, REAL ITALIAN!!! WOOHOO!!!! I had braciole with raviolis, Tom had chicken parm and Jared had his usual, soup and bread. We told the waitress, whom we believe was also the owner, how much we enjoyed the food and that we were from Cleveland staying at RMH. She gave us a container full of Mostaccioli, a loaf of home made bread with butter and a cannoli treat in honor of my birthday! How cool was that? We can't wait to go back, we may take my parents there when they're here visiting next week.

After dinner, we went back to see Jaime. Jared got to hold him. Jared is so sweet with Jaime. He rocked him and held his pacifier for him. Jaime was smiling one minute and crying the next, he wasn't sure what he wanted. In the end, he was very comfy. 8:30 came and it was time for Jared to leave, so he and I walked back to the house with police escort at Jared's request. He thought it was cool that they would do such a thing. Back at the house, I gave Jared a bath, gave him his IV Factor, then Tom came home from the hospital. He had bought me a casatta cake from Servati's, the Italian bakery up the hill. It was DELICIOUS!

It was great to spend my birthday with all 3 of my favorite guys!
A big thank you to everyone who sent me cards, emails, presents, texts and special birthday wishes! I truly did have a happy, memorable birthday!

Love and hugs to all,

Sheryl

3 comments:

  1. Sheryl, a beautiful birthday indeed. Love the gifts...too cute.
    Happy Happy belated Birthday!!!
    ~Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) I didn't know it was your birthday!!! Happy belated birthday!! Sounds like your day was wonderful! I am glad to hear Jaime is continuing his "race towards h". That's what I will be calling it. :-) Many prayers for you all.

    Ash

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! Jaime is such a blessing. Both your boys are just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.