Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Germs!!!




Today, the most exciting thing happened...the "germs" arrived! Yep, I actually searched online one night a few weeks ago to find them. This is what happens when you have far too much time on your hands! LOL!!! Jaime got the MRSA(ORSA) and Staph stuffed germs and Carter got the stuffed E-Coli germ. They are too cute, how could I resist getting them for the boys? The doctors and nurses got a kick out of them, too, they are the talk of the RCNIC...LOL!!!

As for Jaime... he was a bit fussy today, but over all, he's the same. He's still on 4 liters, which is totally awesome. Dr. Crombleholme said today again that they are going to do weekly weans. We'll see about that, 2 days from now it could change again. Monday, Jaime is going to have an echo just to make sure that the high flow weaning isn't messing with his pulmonary hypertension. So far his gases and x-rays have been good, so I'm hoping that his echo will be, too.

Jaime had his "tasting" again today. Noelle (OT) came to do it with him...he did AWESOME! Anne (SP) wrote an order that allows for Tom and I to offer Jaime tastes of milk on his pacifier during the day. No more than 1ml, but at least it's something. I can't wait to try with him tomorrow. It's so encouraging to see how well he takes his milk, often times CDH babies have oral aversions. So far, Jaime doesn't, let's hope it stays that way!

Oh and in other exciting news, when I went up to the hospital for my nightly visit, I heard a baby screaming down the hall...guess who's baby it was? OURS!!! That's right, our little, quiet Jaime has FINALLY found his voice! I knew right away that it was him. Normally, people would be annoyed with a baby crying so hard and loud, but honestly, it was music to my ears!!! :-) Hey for being intubated for his first 41 days of life, it's great to hear him cry and for it to be so loud is another cue that he's getting stronger each day. YIPPEE!!!

That's about all for today...enjoy the germ photos (I know Carrie and Carter did...LOL)! ;-)

Sheryl

3 comments:

  1. Yay Jaime! You are making such awesome progress! I LOVE the germs!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I love the germs. Glad they are plush and not real though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those should be the ONLY germs allowed! I love them too! Jaime doesn't look too sure about them ;-).

    Glad everything is progressing nicely -

    Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.