Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Two Kids, Two Posts-Jaime






Tom went up to see Jaime this morning after he dropped Jared off at school . He met with the Music Therapist and recorded some CD's for Jaime. He played lullaby's and different classical songs on his trombone, as well as, recorded some stories that he read. Emily (Jaime's nurse) was playing the CD's for Jaime tonight, he seemed to enjoy them.
I wasn't able to make the recording session because I was at Good Sam's having my 6wk postpartum follow-up appointment. Everything was just fine. My incision site has healed nicely and I've lost 36 lbs. I am still having that right-sided pain from the nerve damage, but Dr. Brady said that the pain may never fully go away and that I should just take it easy on the days that it hurts more. I do not have to go back again unless I have a problem. YEA!

After my appointment, I went to see Jaime for a bit. We weren't able to stay for rounds due to Jared's school party, but we were told that nothing too exciting happened. They were mostly just talking about weaning his Methadone and increasing his feeds.
After Jared's school party, I went back to the hospital. Pastor Eric came for a visit, as did Dr. Waggoner. She's going to help us with Jared in dealing with having a sick sibling. She's going to meet Jared tomorrow and soon will become Jared's "Dr. Leigh" in Cincy! Yippee!!!
After Dr. Waggoner left, Shari and I bathed Jaime. He LOVED it! In fact, he loved it soooo much that he actually was falling asleep in the tub! HA! I did capture a few photos of him bathing and cozy in his "Captain Adorable" baby outfit.
This evening when Jared and I were out with Bev and the girls, Tom went up to see Jaime again. We got some pics of Tom holding Jaime on his shoulder...Jaime's favorite position to be held in! Once Tom put Jaime back to bed, Jaime decided to pull his NG out. Emily managed to replace it, Jaime slept during the entire thing. That a boy! He's such a good baby. He hardly ever cries. :-)
I called Emily tonight because I didn't want to go out in the storm, she said he was doing fine and was fast asleep. She also mentioned that at 2:00 A.M., his feeds would be going up to 16mls/hr. He's tolerating his feeds well. Once he reaches 18mls/hr, they will start to put him on a regular feeding schedule. He won't get fed continuously, he'll get a bolus (a quick, single, large dose) of milk at a timed interval.
Well, that's about all of our update from Cincy! Enjoy the photos and please continue to keep Jaime, Carter, Carter, Baby Girl (keeping name anonymous for HIPPA reasons), and Gia (still awaiting her arrival) in your thoughts and prayers! Also, Tom's Grandma has been transitioned into a rehab facility today, let's pray for a speedy recovery for her! Thanks!

Hugs,
Sheryl

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful day all around for your family. It's great that Jared has been able to continue a 'normal' life of school while being away from home. Jaime is so adorable, he looks so tiny curled up on daddy's shoulder. I really enjoy when you post the names of staff taking care of Jaime. When a hear names like, Nurse Emily, who was so wonderful with my Emily, it helps be relive our time in the RCNIC. I can't believe it's been 1 yr since we left. I hope your last day there comes soon and Jaime gets to enjoy his first day in the sun!
    Love from Sue and Baby Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful day to report to everyone. Have they talked about a date to bring him home? Love all the pics!!!

    Love, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving that captain adorable outfit. :-) too cute!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.