Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, June 12, 2009

In and Out of the RCNIC










First, a big shout out to Ann and Albert Trost, (AKA Mom and Dad T.) Celebrating their 44th wedding anniversary today! Hope you guys had a fantastic day!

So, I'm sure you're all wondering why I titled this post "In and Out of the RCNIC." Well, that's because today's photos show you what we did in the RCNIC and what we did outside of the RCNIC. Yes, that's right...we DO leave the hospital from time to time!

This morning we went up for rounds-nothing new to report. The first few photos show the doctors hovering around Jaime's door talking about him, yep this is what "rounds" looks like. You'll notice the infamous "Red Carpet" on the floor, well that's because Jaime's room is referred to as the Penthouse Suite. Oh and you'll see the germs hanging on the door, too. It's kind of our little joke in the RCNIC, anything to break up the mundane atmosphere! LOL!
After rounds, Jared held Jaime for a bit. He's so good with him, I think he really loves being a big brother. After Jared held Jaime, Tom held him. Jaime is getting awful spoiled, he likes to be held ALL of the time. After Tom, I held him and got to do his "taste" with him and Tammy. He was funny today. He wasn't sucking on the pacifier with the milk on it, he actually held it to the side of his mouth and LICKED the milk off of it. Silly boy! He seemed to be relaxed and enjoyed it, though! I guess, whatever works, so long as it's a positive experience! :-)
Late afternoon we went to Jungle Jim's. This is just a huge store with all sorts of things from organic foods to clothing to bath and beauty products. It was pretty fun. Tom found a tur-duc-hen, the photo was taken in honor of Rachel, one of Jaime's first nurses whom he happened to have for 4 hours today. Jared actually found some real ducks in the parking lot, he "walked" them back to a safe area.
After Jungle Jim's, we went back to see Jaime. We hung out with him for a few hours. I was holding him and playing peek-a-boo with Jared around the rocker. Jaime is so alert these days, he's actually fighting his naps. Between the weaning of his Methadone and Ativan and him being more awake fighting rest periods, he's becoming quite fussy at times. Everyone can get him calmed down, but it almost always involves holding him for a period of time. Spoiled baby! ;-)
After our evening visit, we took Jared to the Newport, Kentucky Italian Fest. Yes, it DOES sound like an oxymoron-Italian in Kentucky, but it really was fun and the food was yummy. The crazy thing was that not one single Italian booth had just cavatelli's and meatballs. Lot's of ravioli's and rigatoni. I didn't mind the ravioli's, though. We did have cannolis, so that was good, too. Before we left, Jared got to ride "King" the pony. He totally got a kick out of this!
After that, Tom and Jared went back to RMH and I went to put Jaime to bed. I just called to check on him and Heidi said he's still asleep!
So, that's our report for the day...not much of an update, I know!

Tomorrow, we're looking forward to going up to Columbus for a few hours to celebrate Jared's birthday at Titi's house. Uncle Scott (my bro) and the kids are coming, Grammy and Poppy are already there...Grammy's making her famous potato salad tonight for the party. Finally, a taste of familiar food! YUMM-O!!!

Until tomorrow....good night!
Sheryl

1 comment:

  1. You all are so adjusting - going with the flow - enjoying the things that are there - you need to give us all some of that karma! I know that this is hard on families but I'm in awe with how you all are doing!

    Jaime is not spoiled. Jean says you can't spoil a baby - and she will get me if I say he is!

    Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.