Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Weird Day!

First off, we walked into the RCNIC to find the Pod space across from Jaime, empty and cleaned. Why was it like this? Well, the CDH Baby girl in it, passed away. We were so saddened and reminded about just how fragile these babies are. We send our condolences to her family.

Next, we found out that Jaime hadn't peed since 1:00 A.M. He was getting a Saline bolus to try and help him. He also had a renal ultra sound, it turned up to be negative, but his bladder was empty. Since not too much came of the first bolus, they did another and eventually put him on a continuous drip with a foley. This did the trick! YEA! He slept pretty much all day. He was working really hard at breathing, too. We're hoping he'll feel better tomorrow.

The icing on the cake today was Jaime got moved to "B" Pod. For those of you who know the process at Cincy, you'll know that "B" Pod is the last stop before heading home. Well, unfortunately, we were not moved because we're on that last step towards home...in fact the "H" word hasn't been mentioned, not even once to us! We were moved mainly because there are sicker babies in need of the Pod and with Jaime's isolation condition, it was best to put him in a private room.
The room is nice, it's totally private, with a bathroom, a couch/bed, TV, phone (I'll post the number tomorrow), desk, computer hook up and lots of closet space for all of Jaime's (and Jared's) things. It's PERFECT for Jared, I'm just not so sure how perfect it is for Jaime...YET!
I'm mostly sad because we're not there getting ready to come home, we're there for a completely different reason. Also, we LOVE our Pod C/D nurses (they have totally spoiled us) and now we may not be seeing them as much. And lastly, the thought of Jaime laying in his room alone just tears me up. I felt better with other babies and lots of nurses around to peak on him. Emily was very reassuring that he'll be fine and I have no doubt that he will be, it's just another adjustment that we will all have to get used to.
This is the most abnormal situation one can be in, not having any control over what happens to your baby absolutely sucks, only those who have (or are) going through it can truly understand. (Thanks Carrie and Bev for letting me vent tonight!)

In more happy news, Miss Gia D. came into this world today-after a long labor for Sarah! She's another one of Jaime's CDH Cincy friends. Congrats and best wishes going to Nick, Sarah and their entire family. I did take a sneak peak at her, she's absolutely beautiful! :-)

And finally, I spent this evening getting Jared and Tom ready to head North to Cleveland! Jared is sooooo excited, I'm excited for him! It will be weird not having either of the boys down here, but Stacy will be here this weekend, so I won't be totally alone! (Thanks, Titi!) Also, Bev and Jeanie are taking me out for dinner tomorrow. I think we're going to the Olive Garden. It's not like the Italian food in Cleveland, but it will do in a pinch! (I'm totally craving a nice pasta dinner!)

Anyway, that's the update. I'll take photos of Jaime's new room and post them tomorrow.

Oh and before I go, a special "Thank you" to Beef O's Brady's, Mrs. Wollscheleger, Wickliffe Elementary School and all of those who participated in the fund raiser for our family today. We can not thank all of you enough for the generosity you have shown for our family! We truly appreciate it. Our goal is to one day "Pay-it-Forward."

Good night from Cincy!

3 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean about B pod. Ethan was moved there a week or so before he was discharged, and it really made me more nervous I think. It's nice in the respect that you have a lot more privacy, but then like you said, you are basically on your own a lot more and someone isn't constantly in there with the baby. Keeping you in my prayers.
    Trisha Glahn
    mom to Ethan L-CDHer
    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/ethanglahn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheryl,
    B Pod was an issue for me as well. When Emily got "kicked out" of D because she wasn't sick enough any more, we were moved to A Pod, very small private room but with no extras except for internet-Yeah!! It was a difficult adjustment since like you said there were no other babies around and the nurses didn't hang out at her bedside anymore. I was lonely sitting in a room with a 3 month old and I didn't want to leave the room if Emily was awake to pump, eat, bathroom, or make a phone call. Colt, also CDH was next door, and the third room was usually occupied. There were normally two nurses for A Pod. The change took a little while to get used to and ended up mostly fine. As for B, we never went there. I was given the option, but chose to stay put. For me, and Emily, it was more important to continue with the nurses we knew so well than to have space...remember I was there alone. Mike and the kids were out to visit about every other weekend and any other visitors were VERY sparse:( so I didn't need a lot of space. You are VERY lucky to have your husband and son around several days a week, as well as your sister(Stacy, right?) and other family and friends. As for the nurses, you will get to know them like you did with the C/D staff in the beginning. Jaime will continue to do great. He will be monitored, watched, and attended to as needed. He will NOT be neglected. Maybe bring a few movies in for you to watch, Jaime can get used to the 'sounds of home'!
    I know I'm far away, but if I can do ANYTHING to help you, don't hesitate to contact me.
    Jaime is a superstar and soon the "H" word will be spoken!!
    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.