Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Evening Update 4/18/09





Hi!

Jaime is still holding his own! Tom and I are so proud of how strong he is and how well he's doing! We're still walking on egg shells as there is a lot that can go wrong. We're praying that Jaime continues on his stabilization path, but there are no guarantees.
He's so incredibly cute! We can not believe how much he looks like Jared. It's amazing. The NICU team all agree that he looks like Tom and not me...I do all of the work and get none of the credit! :-( LOL

Jaime has been on the conventional vent all day, we even caught him over breathing it a few times, too. He had his best sats and gases this afternoon. He's down to once a day factor infusions, as his factor levels are in the 60's and 70's. (His baseline is 12%.)They even discontinued his head ultra sounds, as he seems to be doing well. He's still sedated, but not as much as he was, so every now and again you see him sigh or wiggle his toes and hands. He held my finger earlier today when I was there. I lasted just about 4 hours, then the pain came back and I had to come back to my hospital to rest and for medication. I'm feeling better now, so I think Tom may come up in a little bit to take me back over there to say good night!
I should be discharged tomorrow, which will make it a bit easier to be with Jaime. Also, Mr. Jared is coming to meet his baby brother! That should be interesting! We're going to try and make it special for Jared, too, just so that Jaime isn't the only one getting all of the attention! :-)

Here are more photos...I found a bruise on Jaime's knee so I just had to photograph it! It may seem kind of weird, but when you're a mother of a hemophiliac, I mean TWO hemophiliacs, you look for these kinds of things. I actually thought it was kind of cute because that's exactly where Jared gets his biggest bruises, too! Like big brother, like little brother! ;-)

Enjoy and keep Jaime in your prayers...somebody's listening! :-)
Also, keep Ruby and Kaden (Jaime's CDH sister and brother) in your prayers as they are experiencing the same roller coaster ride as Jaime!

Thank you,

Love,
Sheryl

1 comment:

  1. Not a Mom of a Hemophiliac or two but I look for them too! (Perhaps an overly cautious Mom? No such thing these days!)

    I am in awe of Jaime - and so happy that our prayers and Lung Function chants are working! He is an adorable little guy!

    For the record, a very well known Pediatric Surgeon told me once - all good traits come from their mothers the bad ones come from the Dads! :-) (And yes it was a male doctor!)

    Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.