Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Infamous MRI Report

So, I finally got the nerve to email Dr. Corteville to ask her about the MRI report. She sent the entire detailed report to me. So, it wasn't as "shocking" as I thought it would be. In fact, the report stated that Jaime has about 10% more lung than the first fetal MRI. This is encouraging, but we're certainly a very, very long way from "normal." It also stated that there is "virtually no lung seen on the right side." (Freaking liver!) This also isn't surprising, as this was the case with the initial MRI as well.
So, there you have it...Jaime's lungs grew some and half of the liver is up with a large amount of bowel in the chest.
Another interesting thing, aside from the MRI report, is that according to Cincinnati's reports, 50% of right-sided CDH pregnancies result in polyhydramnios (high amniotic fluid), pre-term labor and/or premature rupture of membranes (water breaking). I've got 2 out of 3 which is completely normal and expected. When we go there on Monday, I'm going to have to ask why that is with right-sided babies only.

On a side note, please keep Craig, Kristi and Kaden in your prayers. Kaden is a LCDH baby that will be delivered by c-section tomorrow at UCSF. Kristi has been very supportive throughout my pregnancy, she's my virtual CDH buddy! Tom and I wish her and Craig all the best and are asking that you do the same!

Thanks,
Sheryl

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sheryl. My daughter was born with RCDH 3 years ago, and is a survivor of CDH. If you have any questions at all, I'm willing to answer them. Congrat's on the new baby coming! I understand this rollercoaster ride.

    Kristen's MRI report, pretty much had said the same things. I do believe that her whole liver was herniated though.

    Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son is also a RCDH baby. He was only six days early. I am praying for your little one!

    Karla
    Mom to Braden, RCDH born 3/13/08

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.