Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

One LONG Day!!!











I must say, today was one of the longest ones we've had since we've been here. We got up to the hospital at 9:30...fully expecting to have drs. coming around doing pre-op stuff. Then, as you read in my previous post, surgery got officially scheduled for Friday. Next, we had to wait for a dermatology consult. While we were waiting, Tom and I decided to bathe Jaime. You can see his skin breakdown in the photo of him undressed. After his bath, Cayse had to change his bedding, so Renee (R.T.) had this WONDERFUL idea to let ME hold Jaime while she held his tubes and Cayse changed his bedding. Thank you so much, Renee...it was great to hold Jaime again!
After that, Cayse and I swaddled him, put his star music box on (thanks Bev & Jeanie-Jamie LOVES it) and he fell asleep-you can see that in his "after-bath" photo.
Finally, after 5 hours, derm came. They are thinking that Jaime may have something called "Epidermolysis Bullosa (EB). It is a rare disorder caused by a mutation in the keratin gene. The disorder is characterized by the presence of extremely fragile skin and recurrent blister formation, resulting from minor mechanical friction or trauma."
We do not know this for sure, but they are taking the EB precautions just in case and Jaime will be having a skin biopsy tomorrow afternoon. We were told that this biopsy will be sent to Stanford for an electron microscopy. This takes a few weeks, but will confirm this diagnosis. Also, the dermatologist sent a wound culture of his facial sores just to check them for any infection. A new dressing plan has been implemented where no adhesives will physically touch Jaime's skin. Mr. Jaime sure gave Cayse and the R.T.'s a run for their money today!
Jaime's vent was re-taped just before shift change tonight. The R.T. girls were so clever in coming up with a new way to secure the vent without tape. (Thanks, Ladies for your time and patience with the new dressing!) You'll see the clever new set up in the photos. Having said that, we're not sure how stable the vent will be, so Mr. Jaime has to be sedated for a while until we know for sure. While Tom and I HATE seeing him so sedated, we know that he won't be in pain, so overall it's a good thing. Cayse surround Jaime's bed with a screen, to try and keep the noise level and lights down, hoping to keep him calm without too much sedation. We'll see how that works!
So, now it's 8:30, Tom and I came back to the house at 7:30 for dinner (leftovers for me and cereal for Tom!) We're just relaxing a bit before we go back to the hospital to say good-night to Jaime.
That's today's update. Like I said, it's been a very long, exhausting day!

Please continue to pray for Jaime and Carter, as they both seem to have had rough days today!

Thanks,
Sheryl

6 comments:

  1. Goodness, poor mister Jaime! The blisters look painful so it is good that he is sedated I guess. He is sooo cute :-) Glad you got to hold him again. I hope they figure out for sure what is causing the skin sores so they can keep them from happening! Praying for you guys... your faithful stalker, Ash :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog through Sofia's and have been chatting with Carter Adler's parents for a few days. I am glad to see that Jaime is doing well. Keep on fighting little man :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep fighting Jaime! My name is Chris and I run a social network/support group for people dealing with EB. Feel free to join us at www.ebfriends.ning.com My best to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I'm Janel, 34 with Recessive Dystrophic EB. Please feel free to email me or leave a comment at my blog - I will gladly help answer any questions that you might have.

    I will say that you are in the best possible place to be with this condition - there is a wonderful children's EB center in Cinci.

    Please also visit www.debra.org and do not hesitate to contact Geri the EB nurse - she is FANTASTIC!!

    Also, if you would like I can send you some really cool bandages that most EB patients that I know (including myself) use.

    good luck in your journey and I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have EB as well and can send you TONS of info on caring for an EB baby and tips for the hospital. Its also on my web site www.garrettshouse.org

    My two oldest children were also born with EB. My daughter was born at 34 weeks and my son at 35 weeks.

    Feel free to email me if I can help in anyway. saradenslaw@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello

    I am Leslie Rader. I am with DebRA of America the non-profit for Epidermolysis Bullosa. The DebRA nurse is at Cincinnati children's hospital and the team of doctors for EB are top notch! Please let us know if you need anything!
    leslie.rader@insightbb.com

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.