Jaime Albert Trost was diagnosed with Right-Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia at 19 weeks gestation. He was born at 34 weeks gestation on 4/16/09 as a hemophiliac with his liver and intestines in his chest. Jaime had his 1st repair surgery at 23 days old. He re-herniated in September 2009, causing his bowels, kidney and liver to be up in his chest. He had his 2nd repair surgery at 194 days old. Though Jaime still has many medical challenges ahead of him, today he is a thriving KINDERGARTENER who has beaten the odds!

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, April 6, 2009

First Appointments in Cincinnati

Hello All,
After being up most of the night due to being uncomfortable in a concaved bed and a noisy refrigerator, I was finally able to nap this afternoon. We were offered a different room, but we discovered that the a/c wasn't working in there and it was too stuffy, so we decided to stay put and change a few things. Tom flipped and rotated the bed mattress and the hotel swapped out our refrigerator for a new, less noisy one.

Anyway, having said all of that, we spent the morning at Good Samaritan Hospital. I had another ultra sound-my fluid is still 30cm and the baby is still measuring big, over 5lbs (not that I expected either of these to change). I also saw Dr. Brady, OB and Dr. Polzin OB. Tom and I really like both of them. Dr. Brady was a bit of funny man, he checked my cervix...still closed-thank God! He said that they will monitor my fluid and drain it again as they see fit. Also, I am to continue bed rest here. (Not that I'm overly mobile anyway!) I am to have 1 ultra sound, 1 OB, and 2 NST's appointments a week from here on out. I also have to see hematology (I have to schedule that, napping this afternoon was more important than calling).
After my OB appointment, I had an NST (non-stress test), this basically monitors Jaime's heart rate in relation to his movements. He wasn't overly active, so the nurse put a little buzzer that sounded like an annoying alarm clock near where his head is, poor guy, that sure woke him up! HA! Tom and I got a kick out of how fast that worked. He proved that he could pass his NST after all!

Next, we drove to find Children's Hospital, as this is where Jaime will be transferred to after delivery at Good Sam's. It's not too far away, I think it took us about 5 minutes. Then, we drove past Ronald McDonald House and came back to our hotel area here in Blue Ash. We wanted to see what else was around here. We got some lunch and came back to the hotel.
We called Stacy (Titi), she and Jared were at the ice cream store. Stacy had offered to meet Tom half way by some Prime Outlet Mall, so that's what they did. Stacy called, Tom has Jared and they were going to Target to pick up a few things for our suite.
They aren't back yet, but I imagine they will be soon.

So, that's today's update! We have nothing planned, appointment-wise until Thursday, so I'll keep you posted!

In other news, Baby Kaden (LCDH) was born on Friday in California, he was put on ECMO over the weekend. He's having some issues with fluid build up and collapsed lungs. Please pray for Kaden and his parents, Kristi and Craig.
Thank you so much, I know that they will appreciate it!

Take care,
Sheryl

P.S. I forgot to mention that Dr. Brady also measured me today, I am measuring 42cm. They say you are typically a cm for every week you are. Well, that would put me at 42 wks., though I'm only 33 wks...can you imagine? YIKES!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that they were able to make some accomodations to your room, so you would be more comfortable. It's also good to hear that you're learning your way around, etc. Thank goodness Jaime passed the NST. I can only imagine what that alarm sounded like to him. It reminded me of the MRI. Is it that loud? Oh, poor guy. What a trooper he is. Looking forward to more updates.

    Love, Stephanie
    Kamryn's mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheryl,
    Glad you made it to Cinci safely. I too saw Dr Polzin, I really liked him, and I had one visit with Dr Brady-he was nice too. Are you planning on staying at the hotel for a while or are you trying to get into RMH?
    I hope Jaime's status continues to remain stable and that you aren't too uncomfortable.
    Hang in there. Enjoy your last few weeks of pregnancy. While I was anxious to finally meet Emily, I was also content to leave her in my belly FOREVER because I knew as long as she was inside my belly, she was healthy.

    Hugs to you,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sheryl,

    It doesn't seem I am able to respond directly to you from our own CarePage, so I thought I'd stop by your blog and say hi.

    We actually did stop by Homestead Suites this morning, got a quick tour and spoke to the manager who offered us a great reduced rate as well. We were almost ready to sign on the line right there because it a very nice property. However, we wanted to check out one apartment we have been eyeing for a potential place and it turned out it was a pretty attractive option as well. We are torn as to where we will end up but will make a decision in the next day as we will be moving down on April 19th.

    We did see Dr. Polzin and Dr. Brady today as well. Dr. Brady was a character...pretty funny guy. Sounds like you were there in the morning and we were there in the afternoon.

    Hope you guys get settled in quickly and get some relaxation in. We'll be in touch.

    Jeremy & Carrie Adler

    ps...Carter got the "buzzer" a few times too in his NST!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had high amniotic fluid too with Nayeli. I got as high as 44. I was mostly at 35 or 36. So for you to be 30 at 33 weeks is good.
    Praying for your little one.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.